List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kppp kludge with devfsd
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-08-31 10:29:12

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Harri Porten wrote:
> > kppp connection config doesn't allow to insert arbitrary /dev entries for the
> > serial port file descriptor (I hope the terminology is ok... perhaps inode is
> Edit devices.h and recompile if you want to add a new device permantly. If
> the needed change is generic enough to be be useful for others, tell me
> what has to be added.
>
> > better?) It becomes a problem if you run a 'pure' devfsd setup that doesn't
> > provide the /dev/modem and the other /dev/ttyS* symlinks. This obliges the
> > user to mess with the /etc/devfsd.conf to tweak the daemon's behaviour :
> > LOOKUP ^modem CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink ${mntpnt}/tts/0 $devpath
> > Cumbersome (and obscure for the avg joe... I myself am not too shure if I
> > wrote the correct entry... that's also the devfsd's man page fault)
>
> I admit that I have no idea what devfs is so I can't comment on this :}

Devfs is what turns (apps that do things to devices that work fine under
linux kernel 2.2) into (apps that don't work at all). Been there for
KPilot, still haven't got it figured out properly (seriously, it's like
you need a KDirWatcher on /dev or /dev/tts).

A good solution would probably be to accept /dev/tts/* and perhaps even
/dev/usb/* as "OK" device names, since that's the way linux is moving. For
traditional /dev/ filesystems, there's no problem. OTOH, accepting
/dev/usb/* is going to wreak havoc once someone discovers they can trash
an external USB HDD that way :(

OYAH, is it really kppp's responsibility to handle all possible device
setups? That's what /dev/modem was invented for, to give you a standard
handle for a *logical* (or semantic) device, as opposed to a physical
device.