List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: threading in kde
From:       Marc Mutz <Marc.Mutz () uni-bielefeld ! de>
Date:       2001-08-30 21:49:02

On Thursday 30 August 2001 15:45, Andrew Sutton wrote:
<snip>
> actually, take the version of kmail i'm using (currently without
> async send capabilities). a single object could encapsulate the
> entire send msg functionality... say define it as so (this requires
> some knowledge of ACE to understand some of the classes).
>
> class KSendMessageTask : public KTask
> {
> 	KReturn<int> establishConnection();
> 	KReturn<int> closeConnection();
> 	KReturn<int> sendMessage( KMessage *msg );
> };
>
> so, when kmail uses it:
>
> 	// somewhere during startup
> 	KSendMessageTask *task = new KSendMessageTask;
> 	task->open();	// activate in separate thread
>
> 	... // when somebody sends a msg
> 	KReturn<int> ret;
> 	ret = task->sendMessage( myMessage );
>
> 	... // later on, check the result
> 	if( ret.getReturn() == SOME_ERROR ) {
> 		cout << "couldn't send\n";
> 	}
>
> or even better, wrap that functionality into a library, or make a
> component out of it, allowing the same send mail functionality from
> any kde application. of course, there's alot of work to be done
> leading up to that point, but that's okay.
<snip>

Am I getting this right? He just described KIOJob's, didn't he ;-)

"Duplicate wishlist entry. Using the smtp kioslave will be in the next
version (actully, it may already be in CVS, since I remember vaguely
that a "warning: kmail/smpt.cpp in (no longer) any pertinent" (or
whatever) flickered by on the last cvs up kdenetwork"

;-)

Marc

- --
In one sentence, the maintenance of technologically obsolete copyright
regimes requires a police state.
 -- Felix Stalder: "The Internet backlash", Telepolis 01/08/28 (#9409)