List:       kde-devel
Subject:    feature request for knode
From:       Peter Buckenleib <pbu397 () compuserve ! de>
Date:       2001-08-30 8:56:26

Hi folks,

i updated my favorite newsreader (knode) to version 0.6 now, and it looks
better than ever!

but there are still some features i would like to discuss. Perhaps some of my
ideas are not new and already "under construction". ( the order is purely
random and has nothing to do with priority)

1. Example for filters using regular expressions

Please add one or two filter(s) that hide all articles containing a regular
expression to the list of predefined filters just as an example and starting
point for modifications by using the "Copy"-feature that is already there.

2.  a third column for the number of articles that would pass all filters

currently (version 0.6) the total number of articles and the number of unread
articles are shown in the tree. The number of unread articles includes all
the unwanted that will not pass the filters. So you see 123 unread articles,
but when you open the group, no article is displayed in the list of subjects.
That is a little bit frustrating.

3.  download - monitoring

One of the features i like most is the ability to generate a queue of
background-downloads by just clicking on the subjects. But this happens
unvisible inside knode. As the articles take longer to download, the queue
grows and there is no feedback what articles are already in that queue.

So i would suggest to use
- a green arrow for all the articles that are waiting for download
- a yellow arrow for the currently downloading article and
- a red arrow for all those articles that have been downloaded but not read.

In conjunction with additional filters for that arrows it would be much
easier to navigate within groups.

Additionally the size of the queue should be displayed in the statusbar.
(Then i could see if there is time enough to get me another cup of coffee).

The name of groups in the tree should also be displayed in corresponding
color.
- green , if there are articles in that group that are queued for download
- yellow, if the currently downloading article belongs to that group
- red    , if the group contains downloaded, but unread articles.

I will not use a local news-server like leafnode as it would need a filter
that has frightening artificial intelligence. It must understand the meaning
of the subject-line and know everything about me to decide what articles are
interesting to me and worth downloading. To keep it up to date i would have
to tell this alien everyday what i have heard,seen and thought. Disgusting !
I prefer the way knode works.

4.  EXE-Killer

I think most people will not download any .EXE-files (or .VBS) from
newsgroup-posters to avoid viruses. Since the posters of viruses want to
spread their evil doing they use misleading subjects that look interesting.
When you see what you got, you have already spent downloadtime and money for
something you throw away.
Would it be possible to tell knode to cancel the download immediately when it
detects that the article contains an attachment of that type? Perhaps this
requires some kind of scanning the download-stream. Additionally the article
should be marked with a "bomb" as a feedback to the user.

5. Add more "scoring-rules"

currently there are 8 possible entries, and that is not enough for me.
Perhaps i have trouble using regular expressions. if those are possible here,
an example would be usefull for me ( how could i create just 1 rule that
apllies to all subjects containing the word "ATTRACT" or  the word "MEET" or
the word "PHEROM"). Otherwise please make the rules-panel scrollable and
change the fixed number of entries to "open end".

6. Downloading a couple of articles

This point is a extension to point 3. It would be much easier to create a
download queue if it would be possible to mark a group of articles (click and
shift-click or cntrl-click) and then enter the whole group into the download
queue by a entry in the menu that pops up with a click on the right
mouse-button.

7. Multipart messages

i have already written a small KDE2-app that joins partial messages which are
transfered by drag and drop from the filemanager. The only drag-n-drop
functionalities i found in knode are
- drag a attachment to a folder as a link to the article (even if it is
already downloaded),
- drag a article to a folder, but you can only use 1 and you have to enter a
name for it. If you want to download a movieclip that consists of dozneds of
parts, this is not usable. Why not mark a group of articles and take the
subject as filename?
So i can not use it directly. How are your plans to integrate the handling of
multipart-messages into knode directly?

regards

Peter