List:       kde-devel
Subject:    threading in kde
From:       Andrew Sutton <ansutton () sep ! com>
Date:       2001-08-30 6:00:15

hi all,

i'm not really a kde developer - just a developer in general whose interested
in kde because i use it for just about everything except office tasks (i have
to use M$ there). but, congrats all. good work. the last time i had to reboot
was when i installed a new kernel (2 months ago). my windows box crashes
every 2-3 days.

just curious, but what kind of threading support does kde have? i've seen
what qt has but i'm not very impressed.

actually, another question -- or at least note. i'm surprised that there
doesn't seem to be any real threading support at the kde level. is there any
particular reason (other than dependency on qt?)

the reason i ask, is because i read somewhere that KDE3 would offer a little
more in the way of threading. my current work project has me working with
this wonderful little (yea right) package called ACE (Adaptive Communications
Environment) that provides some very nice pattern oriented OO software for
threading, communications and pretty much everything except the gui. anyway,
its absolutely spectacular in performance and stability (once you get the
bugs out of the way) and has pretty much changed the way i write code - no
joke - actually, its pretty much changed the way i look at software too.
revelation type stuff.

if you've ever had to write large threaded projects - or even large projects
that could use threads, i HIGHLY recommend you check it out. its released
under a BSD-like license, and is open source. and its very, very complete.

http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html

i was thinking that kde could take certain portions of that package and
re-implement them specifically for kde (naming convention, coding style,
strip out windows compatibility, etc.). if done right it could provide a very
useful tool for threading abstractions under kde - among other things.

later,

Andrew Sutton
ansutton@sep.com