List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Feature request (or more precisely, modified behaviour)
From:       Peter Surda <shurdeek () panorama ! sth ! ac ! at>
Date:       2001-08-29 21:44:01

Dear developers!

Currently (as far as I understand) the behaviour when a URL is typed into
konqueror's url line or run dialog, is approximately like this:

1 - if there is a protocol specified at the beginning, e.g. "http://", interpret
    the rest as part of that protocol
2 - otherwise, if it looks like web address or file/directory path, go there
3 - otherwise, contact realnames with fallback to default serach service

I'd like to have this modified, by adding a point between 2 and 3:
2.5 - if it resolves, go there by http

Lemme explain. Suppose there is a computer in local domain, called "fsck". If
I want to browse it with http, I have to type "http://fsck". If I simply type
"fsck", it does a realname search. For slightly more complicated stuff, if I
type "fsck/subweb", it still does a realname search.

OTOH, if there is a computer in local domain called "www", it is enough to
type "www" and it will do what I expect.

So basically I'd like in both "fsck" and "fsck/subweb" cases to be tested if
"fsck" resolves and only go to 3 if it doesn't. It is faster for me to type
the url if it only has alphabetical characters and I don't have to press
shift.

From theoretical point of view, my proposal asks a question whether local or
global names should be preferred. IMHO local, but you may have other opinion.

Ideal would of course be making this "step 2.5" optional. If there is postive
support for my idea, or at least the responsible ones think the patch would
per se been accepted, but not enough support for the deveopers to actually do
it, I can do it myself and post a patch (but would appreciate hints which file
I should look into).

Oh and please CC me, I'm not on the list.

And KDE has rocked since I started using v1.0-beta2, but since 2.0-betas it
simply kicks ass. Kudos!

Bye,

Peter Surda (Shurdeek) <shurdeek@panorama.sth.ac.at>, ICQ 10236103, +436505122023

--
            Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day;
     teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.