List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: starting to write a KDE auto-installer
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2001-08-22 5:51:28

Dne torek 21 avgust 2001 23:49 je Meir Kriheli napisal(a):
> On Wednesday 22 August 2001 00:38, Nick Betcher wrote:
>
> Excuse me if I'm re-iterating but here goes:
>
> I like apt a lot, and it installed KDE for me with no effort at all
> (had hell of a time doing the same on Mandrake. I'm also building
> from CVS on a LinuxFromScratch machine ), but I'm not sure it is the
> best solution for the auto-installer problem.

If you think building sources is the way to go, how come you installed
binaries.

I dislike your idea for several reasons:
1. I don't have the most modern machine on the planet. It took half a
day to build KDE on it in pre2.0 days. It would take probably even
longer now. I dislike wasting my time and so do most people.
2. It wasteful, because a bunch of people would be doing the same thing.
3. It would fail on many occasions. What then? Compiler errors are IMHO
less user friendly then dependency errors.
4. Do you really think your target group (newbies with problems
installing packages) would like to sit there and wait for hours for
magic to happen? When it would fail, do you think they would be less
irritated or more then they would be if package manager told them
immediatelly that they can't install those packages?

Kind regards,

	Marko