List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: starting to write a KDE auto-installer
From:       Kent Nguyen <kent () mslinux ! com>
Date:       2001-08-22 3:42:35

Hi everyone,

On Tuesday 21 August 2001 11:01 am, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> * Kinstaller - it looks very nice, but it's still in development (65% if
> I'm not mistaken) and it needs to be finalized and to be tested. It also
> doesn't have many features that I mentioned above.

While i was working on KInstaller, I encounter several issues, and hopefully
someone with more knowledge than I can help me.

1)  I try to do non-blocking UI.  I want the backend to be separated from the
frontend.  My initial method was to use global timing to synchronize the
backend and the frontend.  Each time a new download is needed, I would emit
the elapsed time to start the new download, and use that elapsed time to
signal the frontend to update progress.  This is how I control the
asynchronous download.  I'm not sure if this is the right way.  I have signal
and slot everywhere.  Perhaps threading is better?

2)  Another issue that comes up is running KPart as superuser.  How do you do
it?

KInstaller in short.

KInstaller downloads an xml file.  Read the XML file, and download the
appropriate RPM or binaries.  In the XML file, it will describe in what order
it will be installed.  Before KInstaller installs anything, it will check the
RPM for dependency against the local RPM database.  Depending on user's
option, it may force the installation or abort the installation when
dependency fail.

--kent