List:       kde-devel
Subject:    What happened to lxr.kde.org...
From:       Floydian <nhasan () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-08-21 14:40:09

Hi all,

It was a nice guess Kurt, but although my server was
attacked by Code Red several times, that is not why
lxr
is down since late Friday.

What follows is a long (horror) story.

As you may not know, I was running this whole
operation
out of my bedroom with DSL from XO (formerly
Concentric).
I am going to move to a new house by the end of this
month, so I opened a ticket with XO in May since DSL
takes a few weeks or months to install. Before I
bought
the house, I was told that I can get the same service
at that location. And since the place was still under
construction, I could not give a telephone no. for the
new location. But the XO rep. told me that I could
give
any number around that place till I get mine. So I
did.
Sometime in June they cancelled my ticket for the lack

of a telephone number without informing me. When I
called early July to inquire about the ticket I was
promptly told that it was cancelled. I protested, and
then opened a new one. As part of this ticket, I had
sign two forms, one for cancellation at the old
location, and one for activation at the new. I was
told
that the cancellation will not take effect till the
new
circuit is up. A few weeks later, I was told by Covad
that I *cannot* get DSL due to local loop problems. My
only choice now was to get a T1 (fractional, I cannot
afford a full pipe) from XO. So I did. Last friday,
the
brilliant people at XO went ahead and cancelled my DSL
because I had signed a cancellation request. And thats
why lxr is down, my other websites are down, my mail
is
down. I am completely offline and it feels horrible.

I will be back up as soon as I get my new connection,
but that may be a couple of weeks. Sorry for the
inconvinience caused by this, but it out of my hands.
Murphy's first law has struck me, so please bear with
me. In the meanwhile, I can be contacted at this
address.

Thanks for reading this rather long email. :)

Yours truely,

Nadeem Hasan