List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: KDE 2.2 Problems
From:       "Milo Hyson" <milo () cyberlifelabs ! com>
Date:       2001-08-17 23:08:18

That's valid, but I think larger projects (like KDE itself) should be held
to some sort of standards when it comes to cross-platform operation. For
example, draw up a list of OSes that the project must be functional on out
of the box before it ships. Require several different successful
installations on each platform before it's deemed stable. Yes, I know this
is more of a corporate way of doing things rather than the loose-knit open
source style. But when it comes to reputation, one can't be too careful.

Shipping a product in the midst of a half-dozen complaints about the same
key system not working is bad, open-source or not. There's a saying in
business that goes (paraphrasing) "For each person who complains about
something, there are 1000 that didn't."

If what's needed are facilities, then my company's various laboratory
machines are at the community's disposal.

- Milo Hyson
CyberLife Labs, LLC