List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 2.2 Problems
From:       John Gluck <jgluckca () home ! com>
Date:       2001-08-17 1:23:39

Hi

I downloaded the final release of 2.2 sources and compiled them. Then of
course ran my new KDE and had a few problems.

My method is to create a directory called /opt/kde-version and softlink
that to /opt/kde. That way I can keep an old version around and switch
back easily. This also insures that everything is completely fresh. In
/usr/src I create a directory called kde-version and softlink it to
/usr/src/kde. Then I untar the various source distribution packages into
/usr/src/kde. I erase the user's .kde directory when I start the new kde
so it will be rebuilt.

Currently I am using a 2.4.7 kernel, X4.1.1 and Qt 2.3.1. The last
version of kde that worked well was kde-2.2beta1. This was compiled from
source as well.

What I've noticed:

1- kdesupport is missing from the distrbution. (it was also absent in
beta1)
2- Many of the screen savers that were available in beta1 are no longer
there.
3- Enable a screensaver and wait. You will be logged out and fall back
to kdm.
4- Lock the screen. The enter password dialog will appear but no
screensaver.
5- Kdm no longer remembers the last user.
6- Use kdm to resart the xserver and it will crash. The virtual
terminals will not work and you can only reboot.
7- The sound server issues a message at log in "Sound server fatal
error. Bad md5 cookie" and artsd doesn't start.
8- Kdevelop seems to find the path for the documentation but when you
try to create an index, it insists the path to the documentation is bad.
Going back no longer allows you to set a path to the kde docs.

There may be other things but I didn't play with it long enough to find
out.

In short I've gone back to beta1. I think the team needs to re-release
2.2. Perhaps the server failure caused a problem somewhere.

John