List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Idea: how do I implement it?
From:       John Rizzo <jrizzo () johnrizzo ! net>
Date:       2001-08-15 4:12:12

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 09:31 pm, John Sutherland wrote:
> I have an idea that I would like to add to KDE..
>
> It would be a way to build CD images within Konqueror... How I would
> like it to work is this: Have an entry in Services called CD-Images..
> You would open that tree, and see the various imagines that you have
> defined already. But if you want to create a new imagine, you would
> right click on CD-Images, and in that menu, have an entry New CD Image..
> When that is selected it would go through a wizard like sequence of
> options for stuff like image name, bootable, ISO9660 vs Joilet, size,
> etc.. Once a CD-Image is created, it'll appear under the CD-Images
> entry in Services... You can then select that, and drag/drop as you
> normally would.. When you right click, you have an option of properties,
> which gives you a condensed for of the wizard above, and another option
> of Burn, which, of course, will burn the image.. There would also be a
> Kcontrol to set stuff like location of of the images, default settings,
> cdrw device, etc....
>
> I don't really see anything too much like this in the normal KDE stuff
> (especially the extra stuff in the right-click menus).. So I was
> wondering where to start, being new to KDE development... SHould the bit
> under services be a KPart? Or did I see something about TreeModules or
> something? SHould I make a ioslave for the cdimages?
>
> ANy ideas or suggestions are appreciated...

perhaps someone could create some kind of mkisofs kioslave.  This way people
could just drag and drop files and items into the iso like a file browser.

I am not sure exactly how this would be implemented because somehow the iso
should not exceed the size of the cd.  Maybe that would be the responsibility
of the program writing the iso to cd and not the program that allows you to
make an iso.

It may make sense to combine what you have stated above with the mkisofs
kioslave.  Your suggestions could be used to create the initial iso but the
ioslave would actually be used to write to the iso.  This way the iso ioslave
would be generic and could be used by other applications.