List:       kde-devel
Subject:    can't get help-protocol to work?!
From:       Jan Wuerthner <j.wuerthner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-08-12 23:19:19

Hi folks,

maybe someone can help me with this:

Compiling kdelibs from CVS (using the current qt from CVS as well) always
aborts in doc/api:

 Making all in api
 make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wuerthne/kde_cvs/kdelibs/doc/api'
 KDELIBS_UNINSTALLED=yes ../../kdoctools/meinproc --check --cache
 index.cache.bz2 index.docbook
 QPaintDevice: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice
 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wuerthne/kde_cvs/kdelibs/doc/api'
 Making all in kspell
 make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wuerthne/kde_cvs/kdelibs/doc/kspell'
 KDELIBS_UNINSTALLED=yes ../../kdoctools/meinproc --check --cache
 index.cache.bz2 ./index.docbook
 QPaintDevice: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice
 make[1]: *** [index.cache.bz2] Error 134
 make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wuerthne/kde_cvs/kdelibs/doc/kspell'
 make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

removing api and kspell from the subdirs makes it possible to compile the
kdelibs, but when I try to invoke the help for any of the KDE programs (F1),
the help-window appears, stating "Parsing stylesheet" then "Applying
stylesheet" in the status bar (followed by something to fast to reach my eye)
and finally followed by a message box "The process for the help protocol died
unexpectedly".

1) Can someone tell me if this is a consequence of the incomplete compilation?
2) I use libxml2.so.2.4.1, should be the lastest stable version, right?

I am very thankful for any hint!

Greetings
Jan

--