List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2 tagged
From:       Rolf Magnus <ramagnus () zvw ! de>
Date:       2001-08-11 12:07:36

On Tuesday, 7. August 2001 21:41, Andreas Pour wrote:

> Yes, but a lot of users already complain about not having good control
> over what packages are installed.  If you package app K1 with app K2,
> users are forced to install K2 to use K1.  What is the point of that?

Debian seems to be able to manage this. They have an extra package for every
single KDE app.

> The basic KDE packaging policy -- kdeutils, kdenetwork -- already
> largely defeats the purpose of package management tools by forcing
> people to install stuff they don't want, but at least those packages
> have a theme and (in general) are of general use.  Putting together a
> package of completely unrelated programs, each of which has a small
> group of people who are interested (I would e.g. never use a cookbook
> program b/c I don't use recipes for cooking) that people are forced to
> install all at once or not at all is, well, nonsense, and goes against
> the KDE slogan of "Conquer Your Desktop" since users lose the ability to
> even control what programs exist on their system.  You might say, who
> cares if there is an extra program there, but a lot of people do care,
> and if nothing else it clutters up the menus.

Isn't someone working on a "kdeinstaller"? There could be a tree with
the packages at top level and for every package a list of apps that are
contained (with a small description of each and with automatic dependancy
checking). On the other hand, this seems to be the distributor's task.

> So, the questions is, why put all these things together in one package
> when they are unrelated and it's very unlikely any user will like the
> "all or none" option?  What is to be gained, in your opinion?

People won't like it much if they have to select e.g. from a list of 400
packages (needing two hours to find out what each apps does and if they need
it) and need to know about dependancies between them. At the moment, there
are only very few dependancies between the KDE packages.

--
How come Superman could stop bullets with his chest,
but always ducked when someone threw a gun at him?