List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-apps (or whatever) and Cookbook
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-08-09 8:11:14

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> On Wednesday, 8. August 2001 22:38, Andreas Pour wrote:
> >
> > Then when you are done you have a separate package for each app.
> >

> Let me quote the important part of Caldera's kdegames SPEC file. I don't
> think it's more complicated than what you had.
>
> Greetings, Stephan
>
> for app in $apps; do
>   mkdir $DESTDIR/$app
>   make -C $app DESTDIR=$DESTDIR/$app install-strip
>   if [ -f doc/$app/Makefile ]; then
>     make -C doc/$app DESTDIR=$DESTDIR/$app install
>   fi
>   DESTDIR=$DESTDIR/$app %{mkLists} -c %{Name}-$app
>   rm -rf $DESTDIR/$app
> done

Hi,

Yes, absent their distro-specific macros, this is what I had in mind.

Drawback with this approach?  A packager doesn't know if somebody breaks
this.  So each time you have to verify that in fact it caught all the
right things and files, and this requires manual intervention which is a
waste of time.  If this is built into the package configure script, then
all the packagers get it and whoever updates the package dir format
makes sure this script still works.  Basically you do in one place what
else would occur in many different places, and you have someone changing
the install procedure make the change rather than have everyone else try
to figure out what the change was.

Making packaging easier is a good thing.  If packagers can build
packages automatically we can reduce our 1-week package-release cycle
for alphas/betas, maybe to 1-2 days (stable releases of course require
more testing).

I'm willing to work on the scripts if someone points me to the right
place and promises to apply the patches ;-).

Ciao,

Dre