List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde-apps (or whatever) and Cookbook
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-08-08 20:38:20

Stephan Kulow wrote:

> On Wednesday, 8. August 2001 18:49, George Staikos wrote:
> >    As an alternative, they could, I guess, be put into a single module and
> > then hopefully have the packagers make separate packages for each app
> > inside.
>
> That's actually _exactly_ what kde-apps is supposed to be - just a place
> different to kdenonbeta for apps to be in CVS.

Hi,

I think it would be really cool to have the Makefile scripts have an
easy way to install one package at a time.  Maybe this exists now, but
last time I tried it it didn't and I had to code an ugly hack to get
this done.

What is needed is to be able to install packages individually, and make
sure everything gets installed for this package and nothing else
(including if things are split up in 2 or 3 difference dirs, such as
under 'docs' or whatever).

So in an rpm .spec file install section, you can have a loop like this:

  for app in %{package_apps} ; do
    make install DESTIR="$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" package="$app"
    echo "%defattr(-,root,root)" > "$RPM_BUILD_DIR/file_list.%i"
    # use automatic package file-list generation
    find . . . >> "$RPM_BUILD_DIR/file_list.%i"
    find . . . >> "$RPM_BUILD_DIR/file_list.%i"
    find . . . >> "$RPM_BUILD_DIR/file_list.%i"
    rm -rf "$RPM_BUILD_DOOT"
  done
  # install everything so that the packaging section finds the files
  make install DESTIR="$RPM_BUILD_ROOT"

Then when you are done you have a separate package for each app.

This makes it trivial for packagers to split things up into nice,
compact packages.  Would this be hard to implement?  I know a lot of
users would be happy if they had finer control over installation of
kdeadmin, kdenetwork, kdeutils, kdegames, etc.  I don't think this is
needed for kdebase.

Ciao,

Dre