List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Where is "Run Command"?
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-07 23:57:01

On Tuesday 07 August 2001 18:06, Claes Andersson wrote:
> >enlighten me, please
> >how do you type kdesu with 10 keystrokes?
>
> kdesu is new too me, thanks for telling me about it. But is not KDE
> primarily about building an excellent GUI environment? What an "ordinary"
> user sees is not "type kdesu to run programs as root". Instead he sees an
> advanced button, and if he presses it he can click run as different user
> and then he can also enter password. Now, to do this from the keyboard, you
> have to press programname tab space tab tab tab tab tab space username tab
> tab password. Or something with Alt modifiers which gets even more
> complicated for the "ordinary" user.
>
> Claes

A.) The code that does this is in kdebase/kdesktop/minicli.*

B.) Becareful about making something simpler without first considering
     what's involved.  In this case both the priority change and the user
     change require password ; so the person that wrote that simply did
     it this way in order not to duplicate the password dialog twice.  But if
     you think you can improve on it, please feel free :)

C.) Dangerous things such as running application with root privilidge should
     abosolutely not be made as easy to get to as other things IMHO.  It is
     akin to encouraging childern to play with fire.  Once the user understands
     the consequences of such action then they can use this feature with caution.
      In other words it was not a feature that was intended for use by the average
      user.

Regards,
Dawit A.