List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mom test
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-08-08 11:26:15

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 13:08, Richard Stevens wrote:
[...]
> I really don't like this discussion. Some points are really valid but what I
> dislike is removing stuff that has been there and is very handy. Things
> should be as descriptive as possible but e.g. removing the lock just makes
> things more difficult for those who use it just for making things supposedly
> easyer for others (Other examples the new composer button in kmail, the
print
> frame thing in konqui...).
>
> I think it doesn't hurt if there are buttons inexperienced users don't need.
> If we start removing those, we get where windows is now. The default setup
> has to be tweaked and tuned for quite some while to become handy and usable
> for the more experienced users. You first have to switch off all the
> automatic and protective stuff. I really wouldn't like to see kde become
like
> that.

This leads to a look-N-Feel discussion, but I think a really good solution
would be to have a global "user-level" setting for KDE3. This would decide
about the level and amount of options shown to the user and also about the
default settings.
There need to be at least two different user-levels:
-newbie
-experienced user

For each one there should be a distinct maxime (ie: "keep it simple" for
newbies and "make it convenient" for experienced users). We need to consider
totally different levels of expectations.

Hope someone is willing and able to implement the neccessary code for that,
or I'll give it a try for KDE 4.0 ...

Klas