List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Compiling kdebindings for Solaris
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-07 23:36:05

On Tue, 07 Aug 2001, Mathias Waack wrote:
> I've got a problem compiling kdebindings for Solaris. Configured
> failed during searching for java:
>
> checking for Java directory... configure: error: libhpi.so not found
> under . Use --without-java.
>
> What is libhpi.so? It doesn't come with java - and I think Sun should
> know which files are needed for Java;)
Yes, I agree it be nice if the java library names were standard. 'libhpi.so' is
the java threads library in my Blackdown Linux java jdk. The autoconf macro also
looks for library 'libjvm.so'.

The libraries aren't actually needed to build the kdebindings module, but is
part of the KDE autoconf macro to look for java resources (it's only used to
build KDevelop 3.0 at the moment). But it would be very useful to get the macro
working with both Sun (and also Kaffe) java libs, in order to be able easily
link KDE apps against the jvm libs.

I have libhpi.so here:

...jdk1.2.2/jre/lib/ppc/native_threads/libhpi.so

Do you have a library called 'libthreads.so' instead, in your jdk - could you
list the libraries under the lib directories in your jdk?

These are the lines in kdebindings/acinclude.m4 that will need to be changed:

dnl Look for libjvm.so

kde_cv_java_libjvmdir=`find $kde_cv_java_bindir/.. -name libjvm.so | sed
's,libjvm.so,,'|head -n 1`

dnl Look for libhpi.so and avoid green threads

kde_cv_java_libhpidir=`find $kde_cv_java_bindir/.. -name libhpi.so | grep -v
green | sed 's,libhpi.so,,'`

-- Richard