List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fixing app typo's (was: Re: KDE 2.2 tagged)
From:       "Erik K. Pedersen" <erik () binghamton ! edu>
Date:       2001-08-06 14:33:18

> 1) Add comments to ambiguous messages. I'm not quite sure how that works,
> though. i18n("comment","string") ? Does that affect translations?
>
> 2) Remove bizzarre whitespace, such as
> 	msgid " (Timed out)"
> 	msgid ""
> 	"Couldn't start writing mailbody\n"
> Does that introduce fuzzies, or whole new strings?
>
> 3) Fix up random capitalization errors and uses of ([Pp]alm)*([Pp]ilot)*
> where they should all read "Palm". That *does* introduce new strings.
> Maybe something for 3.0. I even noticed that Rinse translated "Pilot" into
> "PalmPilot" in many places.
>
> 4) Fix up string-insertion woes in some strings. For example:
> 	msgid "Send bugs reports to "
> obviously the code will add an email address to the end of that string,
> which may not be grammatically correct for a lot of languages.
>
> Which of these could I possibly put into 2.2.1 and which should I keep for
> 3.0?

I think it should go into 2.2.1, these things do introduce fuzzies, but they
are fixed very quickly. It is not like when the messages are broken up in a
different way, so all translations get lost.

When we commit, is there a way to say we commit to both HEAD and
KDE_2_2_BRANCH? It would be annoying to have to do this kind of thing twice.

Erik