List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KLocale and iso-10646-1
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2001-08-04 22:56:22

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> Some things, like the khtml widget, use KLocale::charset to determine
> the default charset. This causes HTML pages to be unviewable in
> iso-10646-1 charset, since khtml is using a multibyte incompatible
> charset (ISO-10646-UCS-2).

KLocale::charset() returns the charset prefered for fonts. The doc here
was changed for KDE 2, because in KDE 1.x we had to use the same
charset/encoding for fonts and .mo files.

> The question is - should KLocale::charset be changed to return UTF-8 if
> the charset is ISO-10646-1

No.

>, or should we patch each relevant
> application (like khtml) to use a different function to determine the
> locale codec?

Yes

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
          bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org / +47 97651633
                Dagaliveien 25 A  |  Elgesetergate 23 B
                N-0776 Oslo       |  N-7030 Trondheim
  Siste nytt fra industrien finner du p=E5: WWW.Industri-Informasjon.NO