List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Application Ideas (was Re: Should kpaint stay in KDE 2.2/ Future of Killustrator?)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-02 9:34:42

Am Donnerstag, 2. August 2001 10:25 schrieb Info:

> On my mind, Kventura MUST have a feature of TeX-printing.
> Maybe, format of KVentura's files must be .tex.
>
> There are some reasons.
>
> 1.
> XML is good, of course, but it is designed for Internet and
> other electronic publishing aims. But Ventura (and projected
> KVentura) is the package for traditional paper publishing.

The existing Ventura Publisher is very much after cross-publishing
(traditional printing, PDF, HTML) and good XML support is widely seen
as its biggest remaining gap, featurewise. Just search the Ventura
newsgroups for "XML" (at cnews.corel.ca). So this XML support could be
an extremely important feature. This does not necessarily imply that
the native file format must be based on XML. But if this would be
possible all the better. (As a non-programmer I cannot really comment
on that.)

> 2.
> It's VERY hard work to develope new professional-quality
> printing system by zero. Look at KWord - the quality of it's
> printing is worse ewen in comparison with M$ Word.

Isn't this widely a Qt issue? (No tracking/kerning support eg.)

> But if you will use TeX as printing system of KVentura - you
> will not need to develope printing system. This system is
> ready, and  it is exellent (TeX is greate, isn't it?).

Maybe. I can only comment from a LaTeX perspective. And this is an
incredible pain for any DTPer who also has to do some graphic intensive
work and needs total control about what (s)he is doing. It's a pain not
only because of the lacking WYSIWYG but because of the massive layout
restrictions which can only be overcome by programmers (if at all).

These restrictions are  BTW my main motivation for wishing something
like KVentura to become a reality. And it is the main reason why most
DTPers think that Linux/Unix people don't even know what would be
required for an all around professional publishing solution.

> As all know, TeX is professional package used by many
> publishing houses.

Scientific publishers, yes. But surely not by magazine, newspaper,
catalog publishers, or graphic designers. Not even by many ordinary
book publishers. Due to the total domincance of Quark XPress, the
original Ventura Publisher is not very widely in most of these areas,
either. But it has the capabilities for all of them.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/