List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KRun::run() w/ no GUI crashes on Startup notification
From:       "Adriaan de Groot" <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-08-01 19:36:16

The abbrowser conduit is part of KPilot and is responsible for talking to
KAddressBook; somewhere in that code I do:

        // abbrowser not running, start it
        KURL::List noargs;
        KRun::run(abbrowserName, noargs);

and now I have a bugreport (http://bugs.kde.org/db/28/28104.html) that says
it crashes, and the backtrace included with the report shows that it's
crashing inside of KRun, while sending startup notofication info.

The abbrowser conduit is a curious KDE app since it has no GUI; it just does
DCOP in the background for a while and then dies, so my KApplication
constructor is:

	fApp=new KApplication(false,false);

I guess creating the QWidget used for the startup notification fails when
there is no GUI part enabled.

I can work around it in the conduit, simply by changing the KApplication
parameters, but this might be a problem for other apps as well. We should
turn off startup notification for non-GUI apps.

--
[ade] at home, probably hacking at KPilot