List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT Re: reason behind fno-exceptions?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 17:45:33

#if Allan Sandfeld Jensen
> We dont need it. KDE can handle events in different (and better) ways..

I disagree. Please show me a better way to handle errors than using
exceptions.

KDE will not use exceptions in the foreseeable future. Why ?

* Because g++ adds too much overhead.
  - g++ could be fixed and that could happen tomorrow.

* Because Qt doesn't.
  - I can't see how Trolltech could justify changing all their code to
    use exceptions _ever_, because they would break _all_ client code with
    massive source incompatibility.

So, I don't think Qt will ever use exceptions and therefore KDE never
will. Sad, but that's life. The only way this will change is if KDE
moves to a different language + toolkit. Perhaps in 5 years time Qt will
be ported to Java as a new GUI kit and KDE will move over to that.

Rik