List:       kde-devel
Subject:    QDOM and certain characters
From:       David Watson <dgwatson () kent ! edu>
Date:       2001-07-31 14:09:24

I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to programming for XML, and I'm having
some problems with Cookbook and reading in certain characters from XML files
using QDOM. Everything is fine until I try to use the characters åäöÅÄÖ.
Writing to the XML files works, and if I check them out with a text
editor they look fine - but I get errors when trying to read them - it says:

fatal parsing error: unexpected character in line 2
fatal parsing error: error while parsing attribute value declaration in line 2
fatal parsing error: error while parsing attribute in line 2
fatal parsing error: error while parsing main element in line 2

This is the file in question:

<!DOCTYPE Cookbook-Recipe ><recipe comment="" category="" source="test"\
classif="" name="ÅÄÖ" >
 <ingredient unit="" quantity="" ingname="ÅÄÖ" />
ÅÄÖ</recipe>

Do I need to escape these characters somehow? It seems like QDOM should take
care of this automatically for me... shouldn't it?

-David