List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: OT Re: reason behind fno-exceptions?
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-07-31 9:07:13

On Tuesday 31 July 2001 09:57, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> Depends on what you do. Enabling exceptions means you have to write catches
> in order to stay in control. I use pleanty of exceptions in java and ML,
> but I _really_ dont use C++ for anything where I need that level of
> abstractions. i.e. I need to know whats going on, and most c++ programmers
> do..

I find that "knowing what's going on" is a very subjective notion in
programming, usually depending on the language you use. :-)

However, reading the above I still fail to see why you use exceptions in Java
but not in C++, and why somehow in C++ they prevent you from "knowing what's
going on".

> fno-exceptions is a standard option most makefiles throw on gcc/g++.

Actually, I'd never seen it in years until KDE re-enabled it because of
memory concerns.

> > There currently is only one C++ standard, and exceptions predate it by
> > more than a decade. According to DaEC++, C++ exceptions were designed
> > from 1984 to 1989. The first implementation as defined in the ARM
> > appeared in sping 1992. The Standard was finally voted in november 1997.
>
> They where in fact a part of the original C++ by Bjarne, but for many years
> they remained unimplemented until a _common_ standard was made.

Read again : they were implemented in 1992. The standard was voted 5 years
later.

> Sorry, I just hate c++ exceptions, and I don't want standard libraries like
> KDE or any other, to throw them unaware users.

Please try to be a little more rational about this. Hating a feature is no
ground for wanting to be banned for everybody else. Exceptions are useful and
a lot of people happily use them (including me). I certainly hope that in the
future g++ will have a better implementation and KDE will be able to use them.

--
Guillaume
http://www.telegraph-road.org