List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: reason behind fno-exceptions?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-30 17:35:26

On Monday 30 July 2001 10:08 am, TAnGorN (Anatoli Gorchetchnikov) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What is it? I'd love to catch couple of exceptions my core library
> (non-kde/qt) throws and let user handle it through interface of my
> kde app. What problems can it cause?

Exception handling causes huge overhead, it caused an overhead of about 1Mb /
process for KDE applications when I last measured it (about a year ago). I
don't think this has changed much with gcc 3.0.

You can use exceptions in your own code though, as long as you don't throw
any exceptions through Qt or KDE code. (Watch out for signals/slots)

Your application will crash or abort when you attempt to throw a signal
through Qt or KDE code (when it is compiled with -fno-exceptions)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Andrei Sakharov, Exiled 1980-1986, USSR, http://www.aip.org/history/sakharov/