List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-29 20:54:07

On Sunday 29 July 2001 06:53 am, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Yves Glodt
>
> > <snip>
> >
> > Everything, but NOT START.
> > We cannot do this without every windows user consider KDE as a copy of
> > windows. These small things weight very high.
> >
> > What about making ktip (which is always started the first time) mention
> > in its first tip what the K stands for
>
> I just made the K button into a DCOPObject, and added methods to show
> and hide the menu. Perhaps on startup we could show, wait 2 seconds
> and hide. That would at least let the user know what that K button
> does.
>
> Someone shout 'configurable?'

No, configurable doesn't solve anything. I think it should work in a way that
is non-intrusive, there are a few things you might do after KDE has started
and I think most of them involve kicker, so if the menu goes away when you
click somewhere on kicker (as if it this menu wasn't there), it shouldn't be
too annoying.

I'm sure it will upset some people, that's just because people don't like
change.

Cheers,
Waldo
--