List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Maarten ter Huurne <mth () stack ! nl>
Date:       2001-07-29 15:12:25

On Sunday 29 July 2001 13:53, Rik Hemsley wrote:

> I just made the K button into a DCOPObject, and added methods to show
> and hide the menu. Perhaps on startup we could show, wait 2 seconds
> and hide. That would at least let the user know what that K button
> does.

Users that are uncertain do not like things disappearing on them. Opening the
menu and not closing it would be better. However, it still disappears on the
first click anywhere else on the screen.

By the way, the DCOP methods you implemented could be used for opening the K
menu when someone presses one of those Windows keys. Or does it already do
that? I cannot test it: I kept my old keyboard because I dislike Windows
keys, I often accidentally press them when I want to hit Alt.

About the K menu discussion in general:

I don't think there is any "intuitive" way to represent the menu. Starting
applications is its main task, but it contains panel configuration as well,
the logout action and optionally bookmarks. In addition, some applications
(Konqueror, KMail, Konsole) are on the panel as well, so the menu is not the
only place where the user can start applications. All in all, the
functionality menu is too complex to be summarized in a single icon. Users
will have to be taught what the menu does.

"Finding the K menu" is a problem only to first-time users. Therefore the
solution should be aimed at them: this is a job for Kandalf, the friendly
guide of new users. Changing the everyday behaviour of KDE exclusively for
first-time users is a bad idea.

Bye,
		Maarten