List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Faster startups by fixing C++ object files before linking (new version and results)
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-28 17:31:01

On Saturday, 28. July 2001 18:36, gigafalk@yahoo.com wrote:
> Andreas Pour wrote:
> > Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I fully support this. It's a great improvement for me at least :)
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > While I think too this is a great innovation, is it really appropriate
> > to release this w/out a beta test in a stable release?
>
> I think there's no need for a hurry to release 2.2final necessarily on
> Monday. What about beta2 on Monday containing the patch?
Even tuesday or wednesday or thursday would last. I'd suggest putting that
in, and to investigate Alexxx info about the reduction of app startup time by
caching the icon pathes. See kde-core-devel. If we get *both* things into KDE
2.2 I would say it's worth it and we should put it in and do a KDE 2.2-pre to
test it (not a beta by name). Then, if no further problems arise, release 2.2
within two weeks or a week. But that merely depends on that the packagers
could also take care of updating the binutils package for those systems that
don't work with the patch (mandrake, redhat). SuSE 7.2 works fine here.

Ralf