List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-07-28 6:39:16

Hi,

Torsten, you make good points.  However, I do think "Start" is too much
of a copy; if one can find something that answers the user's first
question -- how do I get going -- but is different, that to me is
preferred.

Here are some options I brain-stormed, pretty much in order I like them:

  - Menu
  - Main Menu
  - Begin
  - Go <-- people used to this from the web
  - Commands
  - Choices
  - Programs
  - Do Stuff

Then of course is another option (configurable of course and it should
complement a useful name for the main menu), but which I find pretty
handy:  have Kicker open the menu when it starts up.  Alternatively, the
menu could be detached and sit on the desktop, with a "close" button.  A
third option is the tooltip which appears next to the menu, but that is
only a substitute for what you really want to do, which is show people
the menu.  A KPersonalizer option could enable/disable this.  I actually
would find this handy, b/c the first thing I usu. do when the desktop
starts is want to start an app with the menu and this would save me the
trip to the "K".  If I don't want to use the menu I would just click
somewhere in the desktop and it would go away.

The issue is pretty simple, people want to do stuff but don't know how.
Actually presenting the menu, instead of forcing people to read
everything on the desktop and try to make sense of it, would be to me
the clearest indicator.

Ciao,

Dre