List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST:Re: K start menu icon ideas
From:       Torsten Rahn <tackat () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-07-28 6:21:29

Martijn Klingens wrote:

> On Saturday 28 July 2001 01:01, Sheldon Lee Wen wrote:
> --- snip ---
>
> I think the text "start" is conceptually wrong because things like configure,
> lock and log out are there as well, but I like your snapshot3.png quite a lot.

I here this point very often - especially from people who think that
they know more about usability than MS.

But these people who feel smart enough to criticise the naming of
"Start" often miss one point:

When people see the desktop the VERY first time, all of them will ask
themselves "Where do I start?". They see the "Start"-button and get the
answer. Pressing the button is the very first action you have to do to
"Configure stuff", "Start applications" or whatever. So in this way it's
very descriptive.

After they hit the "Start"-Button the very first time they are
intelligent enough to realize that pressing the start-button might offer
a lot more tasks than they might have expected. So actually the name
"Start" serves its purpose. And I have never seen any user actually
having problems due to the naming of "Start".

Greetings,
Tackat