List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Faster startups by fixing C++ object files before linking (new version and results)
From:       Leon Bottou <leonb () research ! att ! com>
Date:       2001-07-27 22:30:50

My machine is now running objprelinked qt, kdelibs and kdebase.
On kdelibs, the number of R_386_32 went from 54216 to 15085.
It feels noticeable faster.  But I would like much faster than that :-).
Some day I should try again with lazy binding.

Attached is a new version of objprelink with a larger message buffer
(some symbols have more than 256 chars) and a beginning of
multi-architecture support.    I hope some people will be interested
enough to write the stubs for their preferred cpus.

On Friday 27 July 2001 02:24 am, Per Winkvist wrote:
> Have you seen Jakub Jelinek work on the prelinker at the glibc level.
> Search http://sources.redhat.com/lists.html#glibc libc-alpha maillist in
> june & july for "prelink".

I think Jakub's work has a greater potential.
Yet it requires rebuilding your entire system with new binutils and a new glibc.
That will certainly happen in future distros, but will take some time I guess.

I am just proposing a simple solution that can work now.
If you build QT and KDE with objprelink, you should feel a
speedup regardless of the other components of your system.
It works now.

Note that we do not mean the same by "pre-linking''.
Jakub means "preparing the executable and so files for faster loading" .
My code is something that should be run before linking (pre-link).
It prepares the object files before linking.  Definitely not the same.
One can do both.

- Leon Bottou

["objprelink.c.gz" (application/x-gzip)]