List:       kde-devel
Subject:    desktop entries for non-kde sound applications
From:       Till Krech <till () snafu ! de>
Date:       2001-07-21 19:43:25

Hi,

since I never had any luck with kaboodle or noatun, I configured xmms as
player for audio/x-mpegurl etc. in konqueror file type settings. Since days
(weeks?), I had difficulties because xmms (or realplayer) apperently can't
open the sound device because it's used by artsd. So, these application hang
around and block until artsd gives back the device.

A simple fix was to prefix the Exec entry in xmms.desktop, realplayer.desktop
and xmms-enqueue.desktop with 'artsdsp '.

Now everything works fine and I can view real video with realplayer while
listening to mp3.com with xmms and my notification sounds play inbetween.

Since artsdsp is part of kdelibs, shouldn't this be standard for these
desktop entries ?

Greetings, Till