List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Modifying existing apps
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2001-07-21 10:19:06

(warning, multi-level replies ahead)

On Saturday 21 July 2001 11:28, Wojciech Smigaj wrote:
> On Friday 20 July 2001 22:56, Kuba Ober wrote:

> > > Being in the folder with my sources I run "./khelpcenter" (not
> > > "khelpcenter"), so I think my version should be run.

Yes, except if what you modified is in a dynamic library.

> > It runs code from a library which is the installed one. KDE apps are
> > libraries, the executable is just a stub (am I right?)

Not really. There are libraries indeed, but KDE apps are still good ol'
executables. However, if what he modified is indeed in libkhelpcenter, then
he either should do a 'make install', or modify his LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point
to where his version of the lib is.

> Probably you are right :-). I haven't much experience with libraries :-(,
> but during the compilation KonquerorIface_stub.cc and .h files are created,
> and during the installation libkhelpcenter.so library is installed. On the
> other side, before asking on this group I had tried to move all
> libkhelpcenter.so* files from /usr/lib and then to run my app, and my
> changes still weren't visible.

You need to run ldconfig after manually copying libraries.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.telegraph-road.org