List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Newbie KDE/QT Programming question...
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-07-20 12:47:12

On Friday 20 July 2001 13:07, John Toon wrote:

> > BTW, you know that the book is also available online in html format
> > from http://kde20development.andamooka.org ? And that that version
> > can be annotated by readers? See
> > http://www.andamooka.org/reader.pl?pgid=kde20develch03lev1sec4 for
> > your problem, it's mentioned there ;-)
> >
> > Martijn
>
> Fixed it. Mmm, looking at the fix, it seems that it's a bit of
> kludge... I guess I better read up on KCmdLineArgs.
>
> Thanks for the help everyone!
>
> What are people's opinion's of the "KDE Programming Bible" by Arthur
> Griffith (preferably the latest edition)? Is it a good book to buy?
>
> I'm slightly reluctant to buy printed material since KDE is developing
> so rapidly at the moment and it makes learning to program KDE far more
> complicated if the examples are constantly out of date...

I use the (printed) version of the KDE 2 development book mostly as a
starting point if I need info, but I mostly prefer the online info because it
is always up to date.

Note though that a KDE 2.0 based program should compile flawlessly on any
newer KDE 2.x version, KDE 3.0 is the first version allowed to break source
and binary compatibility with older versions. The other way round that
doesn't work of course, KDE 2.1 has additional API calls that KDE 2.0 can't
possible support.

If you have an app that worked ok on KDE 2.0, but doesn't on a later KDE 2.x,
that's a bug. Unfortunately, most of the book you and I posess was written
_during_ KDE 2.0 development, at which time it was allowed to make API
changes. Despite the proofreading I fear some quirks like this one were
unavoidable or the book wouldn't have been out until now. This is one
advantage of MS's long development cycles: the API is frozen early enough to
give book writers enough time to describe them without that much (if any)
last minute changes. Probably that's the only advantage though, and even for
MS products the first books available in the store are often based on betas
from before the API freeze.

Anyway, I would try to work with what you have now and what's available
online, I don't think another book would provide more info. Especially since
KDE/Qt api's combined with KDevelop are about the easiest APIs I've seen
(including Borland Delphi's VCL lib, which I considered the best before I
discovered Qt), so you won't need your book that much within a few weeks
anyway...

Martijn