List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Info on partitions
From:       "James Darpinian" <J112282 () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2001-07-15 0:19:45

> Yup, looks like we need even more mtab-related stuff in global.h.
> You could try to hack it up using the existing code there
> (returning a complete
> list of structures, instead of just looking for a particular
> entry), but with all those
> ifdefs it's hard to get right...

Yeah, that sounds over my head.  Well, since Linux and *BSD are the only KDE
platforms likely to coexist with a Windows installation (I think?), maybe
I'll just steal some code from the info control panels and add it to
KEditBookmarks for those two platforms.  That would be simpler for now,
instead of worrying about generic kdelibs functions for all supported
platforms.

BTW, I think the ability to find a Windows partition could be important for
KDE.  A lot of things would be better for the average user installing a
Linux distro if KDE could import lots of Windows settings (or fonts!).
KMail could import Outlook's accounts, Konqueror could import IE's proxy
settings and bookmarks, KPPP could import Dial-Up-Networking settings, etc.
It would really help a Windows-KDE migration.  I know it's not KDE's
explicit goal to "beat" Windows, but if KDE wants to gain any market share,
we'll have to convert Windows users.

Just my US $0.02

James Darpinian