List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: is kde su dialog available for other apps?
From:       David Watson <dgwatson () kent ! edu>
Date:       2001-07-14 16:51:19

Hi, Dennis! In case you don't remember - I'm the one who helped you with your
G400 and Xfree86 4 last year. :)

> this may be -- if i had to put money on it, my guess would be that it
> is -- a really stupid question with an obvious answer, but the world
> being populated as it is with users who can't see the obvious, i'll
> ask it anyway.

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

> is the su dialog as employed with the konqueror System > File Manager
> (Super User Mode)" available for use with other apps? here's why i
> ask: i just built koncd (xcdroast now having gotten just too tied up
> with gtk+ imho). it showed up on my user menu -- but the cd burner
> itself didn't, while as root it's there. it won't run suid, and while
> i could set up a group (as in the modem group for kppp), it might
> make more sense for users simply to be prompted for the root password
> before burning cds. in that there's a lot of stuff that could be done
> from the kde desktop su root, using kde tools, it seems to me that if
> there were a way to automagically trigger this dialog whenever a user
> tries to do something that wants to be done as root, it would in one
> swell foop add a very nice bit of polish. (though i'd probably lose
> the "remember the password" checkbox -- it's just *too* tempting.)

Well, one workaround is to use kdesu - just run 'kdesu koncd' or whatever.
But I agree, the programs SHOULD ask for the root password if they don't have
the proper permissions. It's clearly possible, as seen by the KControl KDM
configurator.

So, app authors? How about it? :)

-David