List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror ftp
From:       Malte Starostik <malte () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-02 23:11:36

On Montag, 2. Juli 2001 23:03, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2001 17:58, Brett Blackham wrote:
> > I was trying to ftp to a server that did not allow me to upload a file
> > calld ??????.part.  Due to some scripting on the ftp server it would only
> > allow me to upload the file as it was originally named. (w/o the .part)
> > If there is not already there should be an option to not upload as a
> > .part file.  Since this is only an issue w/ uploading pehaps the default
> > for uploading could be to not use .part and the default for downloading
> > to remain the same.  You should also consider this issue if you ever
> > build in FXP (site to site transfer)
That'd be nice indeed, but is it possible with the KIO architecture? i.e.
when copying a file
if srcJob.protocol == FTP && destJob.protocol == FTP; then
	if initFXP; then
		fxpCopy
	else
		normalCopy
	fi
else
	normalCopy
fi

where initFXP would mean to try FXP with active FTP on the source job and
passive on the destination job and if that fails try it the other way round
(or start with passive mode on the source job and active mode on the dest
job, whatever).

Hmm, or maybe the above scheme could be generalized a little so that a file
copy always looks like
if canDirectCopy; then
	doDirectCopy
else
	normalCopy
fi

In that case, FXP support could be built on top of that as well as in the
fictional scp IOSlave, a "direct copy" would be to do "ssh hostname cp src
dest" instead of retrieving the source file over scp and writing it back. Of
course in the scp/ssh case that would only be allowed (canDirectCopy above
returns true) if both the source and the destination file are on the same
host.
For a NetWare mounted share direct copy could be implemented by means of
"ncopy" etc.

> > (this might be considered a bug, I'm not sure I havn't read the RFC on
> > FTP)
>
> Put this in ~/.kde/share/config/kio_ftprc :
> [<default>]
> MarkPartial=false
IMHO this should be the default, as the usual anonymous-upload FTP server
won't allow renaming the file afterwards. Am I missing the point here?
-Malte