List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patch to add direct FTP proxy support in kio_ftp
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 23:32:16

On Saturday 30 June 2001 00:00, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> Well that actually does not belong in the proxy config dialog, but rather
> in the Network/Preferences dialog since some people that do not use proxy
> servers also have problem with passive mode settings.  Hence it will have
> to go to that dialog along with the "EnableAutoLogin" entry...

I wouldn't do that. My school has a very broken firewall that does not allow
active FTP (i.e. you _MUST_ use passive mode or it won't work at all). If my
school decided to use DeLeGate as proxy (not that I know, but just so you get
the idea ;-) the passive mode for DeLeGate must be off.

Since the proxy is likely to be located way before the firewall you end up
with a mixed setting of active FTP before the firewall and passive after.
That is not possible to configure easily (if at all), but at least a
separation between proxy and general outgoing traffic would be a good idea
IMO.

Martijn