List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2. Runs great. Ready for beta ?
From:       Matthias Posseldt <matthi () gmx ! li>
Date:       2001-06-27 14:17:54

--- On Wednesday 27 June 2001 15:25, Richard Stevens wrote:
[...]
> Hmm,
>
> I applied the patch, rebuilt gcc, Xfree and QT but the error is still
> there. The QT build bailed out with some undefined reference to atexit in
> libjpeg (as you said), so I recompiled the graphic libs, too and try to
> build qt again now.
>
> Do I have to rebuild KDE, too for the changes to take effect? I'll try that
> tonight.

You may have to recompile some libs. But I don't know for sure which. KDE
itself will work without recompiling. But I had a problem when I tried to
compile libSDL with artsd support, and SDL didn't want to link against
libartsd. The problem only persists with some libraries, I think.
A description of the problem I posted some days before:

After some investigation I found the problem that occurs with the following
versions:

gcc 2.95.3
glibc 2.2.3

Due to a bug in the compiler/linker/I don't know the linker sometimes doesn't
link against libc.so.6 which is a text file with the content "GROUP
(/lib/libc-2.2.3.so /lib/libc_unshared.a)", but directly to
/lib/libc-2.2.3.so. But only in the nonshared file there is a function
'atexit' (also fstat, etc.). So sometimes if you link a program to a library
linked incorrectly the "Undefined reference to 'atexit'" occurs.
<<

Ciao, Matthias

--

Go Open Source and build software that doesn't crash even when it's hit
       by an U.S. Navy submarine piloted by rich civilians.