List:       kde-devel
Subject:    PAM service mess [!!!]
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2001-06-27 14:03:49

hi,

the current assignment of pam services is a real mess.
kdm currently uses the value supplied in --with-pam or "kde".
kckeckpass uses the --with-pam value as well or "login" on freebsd
and "xdm" otherwise.
kscreensaver tries to convince kcheckpass to use "kscreensaver".

i think, that's crap. it's completely useless to use different
services. kcheckpass uses only the authentication (and credential
setting, but i truly don't know what this is supposed to be good
for) function of the auth part of the specified service - and that
one should be the same as the one used by kdm. it wouldn't be even
absurd to use "login" in general - kdm is supposed to do the same as
the login program after all. the screensaver just re-authenticates
the same user and should do this also the same way kdm does.
so i suggest the following:
- remove any #ifdef KDE_PAM_SERVICE voodoo from kdm, kcheckpass (and
  indirectly kscreensaver) - it just _has_ to be there and therefore
  will be the same everywhere.
- the service to use would be determined by configure that way:
  --with-pam=<service>, otherwise just "kde" (yes, it's stupid, but
  "kdm" implies too much if the service is to be shared).
  if /etc/pam.d/<service> is not found, configure should complain
  loudly pointing to (the updated :) README.pam.

alternatively we could provide --with-pam-kdm, --with-pam-kcheckpass
and everything else that will come one day. :)

comments?

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.