List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Login failed!
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-27 13:09:53

> > use --without-pam
>
> I guess but I shouldn't have to specify it if that's supposed to be the
> default! (see next)

yes, of course. it's just misleading docs. see also my next post.

> Is the check complete/accurate?  AFAIK I wasn't using pam but
> there's an awful lot o' config files in pam.d... guess I better read
> up on it.

that's actually a problem - you never know, if you're actually using the
installed pam system. it depends only on the set of installed binaries.
but i think it should be a safe bet to assume, that pam is actually in a
usable state if it is present at all - if not, it's not kde that should
be fixed.

> Who/What/Where: $kde_bindir?

$KDEDIR/bin - usually. a look in any Makefile from kde should reveal it.

> > > so UserPath for Session program doesn't work.
> > >
> > it does work. i doubt, that it is any different on any other
> > system.
> >

> See attached .xsession-errors file.  I added an echo of $PATH in
> Xsession and it didn't have my kde22/bin.

this is just a guess, but could it be, that you moved the UserPath
definition into some display-specific section? it must be in [X-*-Core]
to be globally effective.

> Where was this advise yesterday when I needed it, or do you like
> reading me thrashing around, bitching & complaining? :)

well, i'm slowly getting tired, confused and also a bit pissed of by
people asking always the same questions and accusing me of breaking
stuff. in the "morning" i found me cool enough to reply. :)

greetings

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.