List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt/Windows Available Under New Non-Commercial License
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-06-26 23:21:36

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 04:05 pm, Richard Stevens wrote:
> >(...)
> > As a special exception, <name of copyright holder> gives permission to
> > link this program with Qt non-commercial edition, and distribute the
> > resulting executable, without including the source code for the Qt
> > non-commercial edition in the source distribution.
> >
> > Note that such an exception is not required for code released under other
> > free software licenses like the GNU LGPL and BSD-style licenses.
> > ------(end copied from web page)
> >
> > So it is sort of a funny issue huh? Anyone want to catalogue license
> > exceptions?
>
> Jeez, sometimes the GPL can be a bitch...

:-)

Yes, but then again if KDE was all under BSD we might be floored when M$
revealed thier next snazzy desktop... and it was KDE. They already have the
tcp/ip stack from BSD in W2K. Although LGPL is a bit more open to other
options.

Also this was TT's decision... but it is a nice option they are offering and
I would not want to critisize it either. They didn't have to do it. However
it would be nice if the issue of porting KDE apps to windoze were less
complicated.

> --
> ---
> http://www.richardstevens.de
>
> Unix IS user friendly, it is just selective about who his friends are.

Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team
http://quanta.sourceforge.net