List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror - "Split view"
From:       "Dawnrider" <lchatburn () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-06-26 12:42:38

Okay, I'm leaping in here fairly blind, but it's fairly important to me in
my work, so I think it needs saying. ::smiles:: Please bear with me and
ignore me if I'm saying something moronic....

Is there no way of adding an option for the user to choose their own method?
Either a default changable in the menus or an ability to have two menu
options for the operation, like "New window" with sub options "Here" and
"Home". Not given users 'power' options is exactly what makes Micro$oft such
a mess, like the inability to change IE from the default renderer for
certain parts of the OS and Outlook forcing HTML mail render. It would have
been better, if we had the choice.

I mean, I can see where some people are coming from when Netscape has been
reopening the homepage in every new window for years. It suits some people
and the way they work.

Personally, I like having the current view being replicated. Usually, I like
to be browsing a site or directory and keep what I have in a window, while
opening another one to explore around it. Having to copy the URL across and
reload that page/directory all over again is a pain like nothing else.

I can understand the problems of additional bandwidth use, but is there any
way we can simply duplicate the content of the existing browser to the new
window? That is, from the looks of it, how IE does it so quick... We could
then just do a reload of the home page/directory as needed for the other
option. That would then be the only way that consumed bandwidth. If we could
cache that from browser startup, then we would be onto a winner :)
Obviously, I don't know what is really happening at the low levels of the
browser, so maybe I'm saying something silly :)

Neway, I would definitely like to cast a vote for the merits of browsers
opening new windows at the same place, rather than homepages, etc.

-Dawnrider