List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror - "Split view"
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-06-25 20:38:48

On Monday 25 June 2001 21:24, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The "split view" feature of konqueror opens a new view with the same
> content as the previous active view.
>
> IMHO this should be changed (for KDE 2.2) because
> *) if the URL transfer speed is slow (camera) and/or remote (ftp, http,
> smb), time and bandwidth are wasted (unless the focus is moved to the new
> window and the process is stopped manualy.
> *) it is extremly unlikely that the same URL is needed twice (just my
> experience of using konqueror since  the early KDE2 betas)

I completly agree.
In many cases I split to copy the (in most cases remote) files somewhere to
my local file system. I would suggest opening what is defined as the home dir
for konqy.
In many cases splitting also leeds to loading the khtml part and rendering
the page again, which takes some CPU power (on slow machines).

> Hence I propose to open an empty view and make it the active one.
> I think we discussed this with David Faure long ago - but without having
> found a conclusion (and having seen all the possiblities and limitations of
> the iosalves;-).

Limitations of ioslaves ?
They are among the greatest things in universe :-)

Bye
Alex