List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Quanta
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-06-25 22:04:34

On Monday 25 June 2001 08:12 pm, Andreas Henningsson wrote:
> I think the kdevelop ppl is working on support for
> other languages ..like perl and stuff. I would like to se quanta more
> like dreamweaver. gui html builder with a strong link to PHP.

I can appreciate that, however Quanta will remain focused on production web
development and will be able to integrate both DTDs and scripting languages
along with resources. Since there is the capability to introduce wysiwyg GUI
web building with the QT 3 rich text widget Quanta will have this too.
However it seems irrational to me to hamper the tool by short changing the
serious aspects of scripting on the web. If Kdevelop does this too then
that's great. That gives users a choice for where to develop those web
scripts. (I do all my pages in in PHP so I'd run two programs for every page?)

Central to all this is the fact that I use Quanta for professional web
development myself, so there is an itch being scratched. I would also note
that Quanta often runs in the top 10 (out of 10,000+ projects) downloads when
released on Source Forge... so we must have found a lot of similar itches so
far. ;) Since PHP is so highly integrated to HTML it is pretty much just a
natural extension to me, however if someone like Perl or HTML::Mason or
whatever I would like it to be extensible.

Consider why people get involved in OSS. I have no desire to be "like" any
given windows program if it is possible to do it better. Frankly if I thought
the approach to web development on windows was that good I'd probably be
using it. If you want something like Dreamweaver feel free to scratch your
itch.

As Jono Bacon mentioned there is also Kafka. While it is not as far along as
Quanta and I'm not sure how stable it is currently it is focused more on
being a wysiwyg first tool. I'm sure Jono will correct me if I'm wrong but
it's more along the lines of a basic HTML tool aimed more at newbies and the
casual user.

As a note, I am doing a lot with PHP classes and using Kaptain to provide
additional scripting dialog functions for simplifying working with my
evolving web API. I would like to see Kaptain available in KDE 2.3 as an
additional tool so that those people who write scripts can easily add a GUI
dialog to them. I would really like to see a web development tool that
excceds the ability to produce from the purely graphical orientation of the
windows world. Pure graphical orientation hits the wall of configuration
issues. HTML is a language, not an image.

Again, I would like to work on a tool that stretches the limits of previous
perceptions. If we can produce a better OS, a better desktop and not better
tools and programs then I'd quit. Hopefully the next round of development
will illustrate the lessons learned in a production web environment...
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team