List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: libksane and Solaris
From:       Rob Napier <rnapier () employees ! org>
Date:       2001-06-22 16:55:51

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 06:06:42PM +0200, Klaas Freitag wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Rob Napier wrote:
>
> > Given that libksane itself claims that it won't compile on all
> > platforms (which it doesn't as of today on Solaris because it requires
> > SANE), how do we turn it off by default? Or (my preference), can the
> > developers remove this statement from the README and accept
> > portability patches?
> Yes, I removed the statement. Hope that works now on Solaris. The SANE
> Homepage states sane runs on Solaris 2.6.

It should, but it's not common on Solaris boxes. I'll try to build it
and see what happens. Should SANE be added to kdesupport (would make
me happy)?

> > First thing to do is to check for SANE in configure.
> It think, in libkscan/configure.in.in is a check for sane, which
> disables compiling of libkscan and kooka, if sane is absent.

This was my fault. I forgot how DO_NOT_COMPILE worked.was my fault. I
forgot how DO_NOT_COMPILE worked.

> But: I am not too good with that configure stuff and thus can not
> estimate if that check is fine.  BTW - SANE provides a sane-config
> tool to find ldflags etc. Maybe that should be used by the
> configure-script ?  I just had a look to the configure script of
> xsane (http://www.xsane.org), which also has to check for sane (and
> xsane was written by one of the sane developers) and the check there
> is fairly long also including version checks etc.

Do you plan to incorporate that (its probably a good idea)? If you
like, I'll be happy to look it over and test it. I've gotten
reasonably used to poking around configure in keeping Solaris happy in
a Linux world :)

Rob