List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Download Dialog - immortal?!?
From:       Nils Holland <nils () nightcastleproductions ! org>
Date:       2001-06-21 13:47:06

On Thursday 21 June 2001 14:52, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:

> Hi Nils,
>
> Both the ftp download and the http download involve the http io-slave
> if you're using a proxy server.  You're not by any chance by-passing
> the proxy for FTP servers are you ?  If so, then I can test this since I
> have Squid proxy installed and see if I experience the same problem...
>
> Regards,
> Dawit A.

Well, somehow I'm still confused after some testing. Right now, I think I
have the following results:

In all cases, I'm on my Ethernet. My machine is connected via Ethernet to a
modem-connected machine that acts as geteway to the Internet. Internally,
we're using IPs from the 192.168.0.x range, therefore, the machine with the
actual Internet connection has NAT support in the kernel. The net-connected
machine also runs SQUID for a little web-access acceleration - all my
machines *can* access the web without using SQUID, but with my slow modem
connection, squid can be helpful (especially considering the logs which show
a hit-ratio of averagely 40%/day...)

Now, when I'm at my own workstation with the pateched kdelibs, the following
seems to happen:

1) FTP download *with* squid proxy: Download dialog does not disappear if
files are larger than about 3 MB (since we are using HTTP io slave instead of
"pure" ftp?).

2) FTP download *without* squid proxy (i.e. going out from my workstation
only using the NAT-feature on the gateway and not its SQUID proxy): Download
dialog disappears after download finishes. Yesterday's patch seems to have
helped here

3) HTTP download *with* squid proxy: Download dialog doesn't always disappear
- and that even happened with a 800 kb file. Sometimes, however, it
disappears just fine. This is the strange part of it all.

4) HTTP download *without* squid proxy: Sorry, not tested yet ;-)

The above is what I have observed so far. It should be noted that, like Dawit
has pointed out, yesterday's keepalive-patch doesn't help for FTP downloads
via a proxy, since the http io slave is being used in that case. However, the
patch seems to help when I bypass my proxy - at least it did in about two
tests. Since testing means downloading huge files via my 56k modem
connection, doing extensive tests is not easy.

If someone wants to do more work on this, I'd gladly run more tests here. If
not, well, this problem does not really disturb me in any way, and I think
other users also wouldn't mind it happening. It's rather a "cosmetic" problem
than a functionality problem, after all...

Greetings
Nils