List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Possibly slightly OT] KDE development
From:       Christopher Willmot <chris () willmot ! org ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-20 8:14:42

On Monday 18 June 2001 23:39, David Ankers wrote:
> While we are on this topic, I saw "Programming KDE 2.0" by Lotzi Boloni in
> my local book shop, would anyone recommend this book or is it best to stick
> with Sweet et al ? While flicking through it I noticed it looked a little
> bit easier going than David's wonderful book i.e. more suitable to a new
> KDE developer.

Yes, probably.  For my taste, there was too much illustrating how to use each
widget and not enough on the more advanced topics.  For example, there's a
whole chapter on how to use configuration files, but only a brief intro on
KParts and nothing at all on how to structure code for undo/redo.  So if
you're looking to take one step beyond the Qt tutorials, this will do the
trick.  The examples are clear and simple, and I think there were only a
couple of typos in the whole book - pretty impressive proof reading and
testing for a first edition.

Personally, I feel there's room for more HOWTOs within the KDE realm.  Mmm,
perhaps I ought to write one when I've sorted it out myself. ;-)

--
Chris Willmot
County DURHAM, England.

chris@willmot.org.uk