List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ioslave for cd burning
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-06-19 17:00:25

On Tuesday 19 June 2001 07:21 am, Stephan Oehlert wrote:

> Hi
>
> this whole discussion is coming up now and then again. I think what KDE
> really needs right now is a frontend like xcdroast or so to create data and
> audio cds. Sebastian Trueg has started this already, it can be found under
> http://k3b.sourceforge.net . I think it is well written but doesn't have
> much functionality yet.
> An ioslave should be based on UDF but since that isn't stable yet, we
> should go for a "complete" program.
>
> Latez
>   Stephan

Yes and there are a number of programs popping up with varying focuses. I
could probably dig up at least half a dozen. Many also focus on music too
without much attention to data. I can't recall another I have that is good
for basic jobs.

However there already is a CD burning program that is IMHO much better and
easier to use the XCDRoast (or at least it has beat it in reviews) and that
is KisoCD. It was one of the best programs around in KDE 1x and was ported to
KDE 2. The last version was a beta from I think last August. It seems to me
that rather than starting over and over and over someone might consider
contacting the author about taking over maintaining the code. It's very near
complete as best I can tell. What I really like about it is that it allows
you to build large build your CD image with drag and drop from kfm/konq
virtually. So you don't have to dump everything in a directory and delete it
after. You can save these virtual isos too.

I have yet to find anything as intuitive and functional as kisocd. Why not
finish it's update and put it in kdeutils so that everybody gets CD burning
with KDE?

--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team